Open mobile menu

Community organisations

Aboriginal services

Aboriginal Housing Office
The AHO is focused on delivering better housing choices for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in NSW

Aboriginal Hostels Limited 
Aboriginal Hostels Limited provides temporary accommodation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people throughout Australia.

Aboriginal Housing Company Ltd 
This service works to find places for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander families in affordable housing.

Aboriginal Medical Service 
The Aboriginal Medical Service offers medical services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.

Coastal Sydney Aboriginal Tenancy Support Service
This service aims to reduce the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the coastal Sydney region who are vulnerable to homelessness and rental stress, through prevention, early intervention and support. Phone - 1800 272 877

Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council
The Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council works to promote the protection of Aboriginal culture and heritage within Sydney and assists Aboriginal people with housing, land claims and land management.

NSWALC (NSW Aboriginal Land Council) 
The NSW NSWALC is a peak representative body responsible for protecting and promoting the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in NSW with a significant emphasis on land. Local Aboriginal Land Council contacts can be found on this site. They are responsible for supporting their membership towards social and economic empowerment. These include making land claims under the Act, supporting business ventures, administering housing, assisting members with training opportunities and other projects.

NSW Department of Aboriginal Affairs 
NSW Department of Aboriginal Affairs are responsible for the Aboriginal Communities Development Program and the Grants Program. They assist Aboriginal people trace their family history by providing access to the archives of the Aborigines Welfare Board and Aborigines Protection Board and develop policies and projects on community and social justice issues.

Financial counselling

Wesley Credit Line 
This is a free service providing advice and support to disadvantaged members of our community who are facing financial problems.

Financial Rights Legal Centre 
This is a specialist legal centre that assists NSW consumers with credit, debt and banking problems.

Financial Counsellors Association of NSW 
This website has a full listing of financial counsellors in NSW, arranged by suburb and some tips for budget planning, saving and information about debt.

Rural Financial Counsellors Association 
Independent Financial Counsellors who provide free, independent financial advice for farming families and small rural businesses.

Gambling Help [formerly G-line]
Formerly, G-line, a free help service run by Communities NSW, Office of Liquor, Gaming & Racing, Responsible Gaming Fund, phone 1800 858 858.

The Smith Family 
The Smith Family is an independent, non-religious, non-political not-for-profit organisation aimed at helping the disadvantaged.

Legal services

Access to Justice
(Australia-wide) For information and contact details of legal services such as Legal Aid, community legal centres, family relationship centress and dispute resolution services.

Community Legal Centres 
Community Legal Centres are independent, non-profit community organisations providing free legal advice, information and referrals for individuals and communities across New South Wales. To find a community legal centre near you visit the directory of the Community Legal Centres around Australia, sorted by State.

Law Access NSW 
(NSW only) A free government service that provides help to people with a legal problem or query.

Lawlink NSW 
Provides information about law and justice agencies and services.

Law Society of NSW
Offers a solicitor referral service and 'find a lawyer' facility.

Legal Aid Commission NSW 
An independent statutory body providing legal aid and other legal services to disadvantaged people.

Legal Information Access Centre (LIAC) 
Provides access to legal information for the general public in NSW. It is based in the State Library of NSW and operates through the state-wide public library network.

Multicultural services

Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Contains details about sources of information and assistance that migrants may find of use.

Ethnic Communities Council 
The Ethnic Communities' Council (ECC) of NSW is a non-government peak body representing thousands of people from ethnic communities throughout the state. They actively promote the principles of multiculturalism, and lobby for the development of culturally inclusive society.

Community Relations Commission for a Multicultural NSW (CRC) 
A NSW Government organisation that promotes multiculturalism, ethnic affairs, cultural diversity, community unity and harmony.

Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) 
The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) is for people who do not speak English and for English speakers needing to communicate with them.

 Multicultural and diversity centres

The following independent community organisations provide free advice, information and referrals to migrants and refugees on a range of issues. A selection of agencies appears below. Visit the CRC website for a comprehensive list of services.

Tenants services

NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)
NCAT provides a single gateway for tribunal services in NSW.

Housing Appeals Committee (for DOH) 
The Housing Appeals Committee (HAC) is an independent agency that can review decisions made by public housing providers.

Office of Fair Trading – Tenancy Information Service 
The Office of Fair Trading provides a free information service to tenants, landlords and agents on their rights and responsibilities under the tenancy law.

Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service (TAAS) 
Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services (TAAS) help both private and public tenants by providing tenancy advice, information and advocacy.

Tenants' Union of NSW
The Tenants’ Union of NSW is the peak non-government organisation representing the interests of tenants and other renters in New South Wales

Welfare agencies

The following organisations may be able to assist you if you are experiencing financial or personal difficulty. Some of the organisations may be able to provide you with electricity or water vouchers if you are in financial crisis and unable to pay your utility bills.

Anglicare provides practical support, in partnership with the Anglican community, offering emergency relief, services, and assistance for individuals and families in crisis.

Centrecare provides counselling, mediation, accommodation and training services. Their aim is to help people develop to their full potential.

Lifeline provides a 24-hour telephone counselling, information and referral service with a national accessible number for the cost of a local call.

Mission Australia 
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian organisation which aims to empower disadvantaged and isolated individuals, families and communities by giving them the support they need to get back on track, and lead more fulfilling lives.

Neighbourhood and Community Centres
Neighbourhood and Community Centres in NSW provide a wide range of services within the community.

No Interest Loan Schemes (NILS)
A list of agencies that provide No Interest Loans to low-income households.

St Vincent de Paul Society 
The St Vincent de Paul Society provides professional services and volunteer support to people who are in need. They offer food, other material assistance, and advice.

The Salvation Army 
The Salvation Army provides practical assistance and material aid to families and individuals in financial crisis.