Welcome to EWON's 2017/2018 Annual Report - strengthening consumer protections
The 2017/2018 financial year has been a challenging time for EWON, with complaints increasing for the first time in five years as well as the expansion of EWON's jurisdiction to give more NSW energy consumers access to external dispute resolution.
Our focus this year is on strengthening consumer protections. We invite you to explore this report, its statistics and complaint issues to see how we've called for more equitable practices within the energy and water sectors to improve affordability and access for all consumers.
Download the PDF version [11 MB] | View the media release | View regional media releases
- Annual Report overview - WATCH
- The big picture
- Complaints this year
- Complaint issues
- Resolutions and outcomes
Annual Report 2017/2018 overview
Complaints received from 2012/13 - 2017/18
This year complaints were up by 12%, increasing for the first time in five years.
Complaints received by primary issue
Top three issues
Complaints per 10,000 people by region, including increase
How we receive complaints
Complaint issues by industry
We open one complaint when a customer contacts us but they often experience more than one complaint issue, such as a high bill and poor customer service. Therefore the number of complaint issues is greater than the number of cases received.
Billing continued to be our biggest issue, present in 60% of all complaints. Billing issues include high or disputed accounts, estimated bills, opening and closing accounts and fees and charges.
Customer service complaints grew in 2017/2018 in both number and percentage of our overall complaints. Customer service is often an underlying factor for customers contacting EWON, but for these complaints customer service was the driving factor that resulted in the customer contacting EWON.
Credit-related complaints continue to be our third biggest issue. Credit issues underpin energy affordability and financial hardship, which are a key focus of EWON.
How we categorise complaint issues
- Billing: high and disputed bills, fees and charges, responsibility for accounts
- Credit: disconnection, arrears, difficulty in payment, payment arrangement declined, debt collection
- Customer service: failure to respond, incorrect advice, poor attitude/service
- Transfer: error in billing or transfer of account due to switching retailers, contract terms, delay in transfer, site ownership
- Digital meter exchange: delay, meter not installed, incorrect advice, failure to respond/notify, billing, terms and conditions
- General: non-energy/water related, contractors
- Provision: problems with new or existing connections
- Marketing: conduct by marketers, misleading information, pressure, non-account holder signed up
- Land: impact of network assets, maintenance, environment
- Supply: quality, damage/loss, outages
Complaint closure type
Time taken to finalise complaints
No wrong door
When a customer contacts us before they speak to their energy or water provider, we provide them with advice about their rights and responsibilities and refer them back to their provider. When customers require assistance that is outside of EWON's jurisdiction, we work closely with other organisations and refer customers to them as required.