Open mobile menu

Complaint agencies

Energy Ombudsman and Dispute Resolution Services

ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal (ACAT)
Dispute resolution service for ACT energy and water customers.

EWOV - Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria)
Dispute resolution service for Victorian electricity, gas and water customers.

EWOSA - Energy & Water Ombudsman SA
Dispute resolution service for South Australian energy and water customers.

Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland
Dispute resolution service for energy customers across Queensland and water customers in south east Queensland

Energy Ombudsman Tasmania
Dispute resolution service for Tasmanian energy customers.

Energy & Water Ombudsman Western Australia
Dispute resolution service for Western Australian energy and water customers.

Other Ombudsman services

Commonwealth Ombudsman
Investigates complaints about federal government agencies.

NSW Ombudsman
An independent complaints body for the public sector and the provision of community services in NSW.

Private Health Insurance Ombudsman 
Provides private health insurance members with an independent service for health insurance problems and enquiries.

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
A national scheme which handles consumer complaints about their telephone company or internet service provider.

Other complaint handling services

Complaintline - an index of Australian dispute resolution agencies
A directory of complaints bodies in Australia.

Fair Trading
A NSW government agency which safeguards consumer rights and advises business and traders on fair ethical practice.

Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)
Established on November 1 2018, the Australian Financial Complaints Authority or ‘AFCA’ is the external dispute resolution (EDR) scheme dealing with complaints from consumers in the financial system. AFCA replaced the three existing EDR schemes of the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), the Credit and Investments Ombudsman (CIO) and Superannuation Complaints Tribunal (SCT) so that consumers have access to a single EDR scheme.

Health Care Complaints Commission
Investigates complaints about health care in NSW.

Housing Appeals Committee
An independent agency who can review decisions of social housing providers

Judicial Commission of NSW
Handles complaints about judicial officers.

Office of the Legal Services Commissioner
Receives complaints about solicitors and barristers in NSW.

Office of the Privacy Commissioner
Investigates and conciliates privacy complaints regarding federal and ACT government agencies, large private sector organisations, private health service providers, some small businesses, credit reporting agencies and credit providers and personal tax file numbers used by individuals and organisations.

People with disability - Complaints Resolution & Referral Service
A complaints resolution service for people using Australian Government-funded disability employment and advocacy services.

Download the factsheet: Complaint agencies and dispute resolution services for NSW consumers [PDF 145KB]