Providers in NSW
It is a condition of licence for electricity and gas retailers and distributors to be members of EWON. The legislative provisions which state this can be found at:
- Electricity Supply Act 1995 Sect 96B for electricity distributors
- Gas Supply Act 1996 Section 11A for gas distributors
- National Energy Retail Law (NSW) Section 86 for electricity and gas retailers
Electricity providers and gas providers
Some of EWON's energy members are both retailers and distributors, and it is important to note the difference between retailers and distributors:
- Retailers are responsible for opening/closing accounts, issuing bills and liaising with the distributor about supply reconnection/disconnection. Generally, retailers provide selected services (electricity, gas or both) to selected areas in NSW.
- Distributors are responsible for disconnecting/reconnecting supply, new and existing connections to services, maintaining network assets, reading your meter and sending the data to the retailer.
Energy providers who supply small retail (and small to medium-sized business) customers must be licensed and the Australian Energy Regulator oversees licensing, pricing and compliance of electricity and gas providers.
There are a number of water providers who service designated areas in NSW. It is a condition of licence that Hunter Water, Sydney Water, and Water NSW are members of EWON. Central Coast Council and Shoalhaven Water have joined EWON voluntarily.
The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) oversees licensing, pricing and compliance of water providers.