Help paying bills

There is a range of support available if you're having problems paying your energy and water bills. Always speak to your provider first if you're struggling. They all offer customer assistance programs and must offer you help if you're struggling to pay. 

You may be eligible for government rebates and concessions, Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) payments, water Payment Assistance Scheme (PAS) vouchers, and the No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS).

If your provider is not able to help, or you're not happy with their response, you can contact us for advice and to lodge a complaint. Our services are free, fair and independent.