Open and close your accounts the right way

Recently moved and need to open a new energy or water account? There are a few things you need to know (and do). 

It’s all on you

It’s your responsibility to let your electricity, gas and water supplier know when you move in or out of a property. If you don’t, it can come back to bite you - you can be held responsible for usage at a property while the account is in your name, even if you no longer live there.

Tips for opening an account

Tips for closing an account

  • make sure your name is off the account if you’ve moved out and that all outstanding bills have been paid. 

Rights and responsibilities

Learn more about opening and closing accounts and your customer rights. Read more about your rights as a tenant.

Having issues with your energy or water provider?

If you’re having problems with your provider, let them know. In most cases, they will be able to help you. If not, contact us.

We've got your back

We’re the industry Ombudsman, which means we’re free, fair and independent. We help resolve complaints between providers and customers. 

We’re experts – we resolve over 20,000 complaints every year. Submit your complaint online or call us on 1800 246 545.

Learn more about how we work and what you can complain about.

Open and close your accounts the right way